Sunday, January 10, 2010

Spicy Chicken Stew

Hi. I'm back.

Back to healthy eating and healthy recipes. Also trying to keep the meals inexpensive. Today's recipe is from the new All You Eat Well, Save Big Cookbook.

2 baking potatoes, peeled and chunked
1 10z frozen corn
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chunked
1 onion, thickly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 12.5 oz jar salsa
2 tsp salt
1.5 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
.5 tsp pepper
1 skinless, boneless chicken breast
4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
2.5 cups chicken broth


Place potatoes, corn, celery, carrots, onion and garlic in slow cooker. Stir in salsa, salt, cumin, chili powder and pepper. Distribute chicken pieces on top of veggies and pout broth over chicken. Cook on high for 4 hours, low for 6. (My chicken is frozen, will be cooking on low for 8 hours)

When chicken is cooked, shred and stir into stew.

Can be served with corn tortillas strips (stirred in), or topped with any faves like cilantro, avocado, lime, sour cream....

As is the NI is 305/5/6 (serves 6) and according to AllYou $2.22 per serving. Not sure what my cost is... I had frozen chicken ready to use. Actually I had everything for this in my cupboards. I love that. Cheap easy meal.

No comments: