Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

Did you know that you're supposed to eat black eye peas today to have good luck all year long? I never knew that. Thanks to the crockpot lady I have a yummy way to eat them.

Black eyed pea soup
--1 pound dried black eyed peas
--1 pound spicy chicken sausage
--6 cups chicken broth
--1 yellow onion, diced
--1 cup diced carrots
--1 cup diced celery
--4 cloves garlic, diced
--1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
--1 tsp kosher salt
--1/2 tsp black pepper
--Tabasco sauce (to add at the end to taste) I totally forgot this part. I didn't need it.

The Directions.
Soak your beans overnight. (or if you waited until NYE to buy them, forget about it. The shelves are empty and use 2 cans drained) Drain and pick out the undesirables (broken, discolored beans) in the morning.
Use a 5 to 6 quart crockpot. This will serve about 8 people. Dice the veggies, and dump them into your crockpot with the pre-soaked beans. Add sliced sausage. Pour in broth, and stir in Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for about 6. Before serving, use a stick blender to smash up about 1 cup of beans. If you don't have a stick blender, scoop out 1 cup of beans, blend them in a traditional blender, and add back to the soup. Don't blend too much---just enough to get the broth thicker and creamy-looking.Ladle into bowls, and add Tabasco sauce to taste.

I really need to get one of those immersion blenders. I smooshed some of the peas, but my soup was more a broth not thick. It was very yummy though.

3 comments:

Bravie said...

I love black eyed peas. I had never heard about them being good luck. I wish I had known before. I would have picked some up at the store today.

Breezy said...

LOL No you wouldn't. The shelves were bare! Bare! No dried black eyed peas to be found. I was lucky to find the two cans.

Bravie said...

Honey, I don't live in Podunk. There isn't anything I can't find.
Joking aside, that's strange because I found that our normally unstocked grocery store was extremely full. Weird. They must have all flown to Michigan to shop. LOL