Sunday, January 11, 2009

Playoffs Food

First I have to say, Yay Augie!!!! Go Ravens! Go Ravens!

Feeling a little under the weather this weekend. I did get up and try to run, but only did 20 minutes. I'm too busy at work to get sick, so going to take it easy today.

I have dinner going in the crockpot already, it looks good enough to eat right now.

Fall/Winter Casserole

--1 pound sausage (I used extra lean kielbasa)
--1 large, or 2 small apples, chopped (no need to peel)
--1 yellow onion, chopped
--1/2 cup chopped carrots
--3 cups already cooked bulgur(or brown rice)
--1/2 cup raisins
--1 T dried parsley flakes
--1 T brown sugar
--1/2 tsp allspice
--1/2 tsp cinnamon
--1/4 tsp black pepper
--1/3 cup chicken broth or water (I used water)



The Directions.

The amount of ingredients fit nicely in a 4 quart crockpot. Dump all the ingredients into the crock, and stir well.Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, or on high for 3-4.


Since I'm taking it easy no other cooking going on, but I wanted to share some budget friendly healthy breakfasts. So often we buy the prepacked foods because they are easy. But it's actually just as easy to make your own and it's better for you.

Fat Free Yogurt with Berries

--big container fat free plain yogurt
--one box sugar free/fat free cheesecake pudding mix

Mix the two together and divy out into containers for breakfast for the week. I also top mine with frozen berries. They thaw and melt into the yogurt and add even more flavor. sooooooo good (Add 1tsp of oil if on WW also.)

Cinnamon Oatmeal with berries

--old fashioned rolled oats
--frozen berries
--cinnamon

Microwave 1/2 cup rolled oats with 1 cup water for 1 minute. Add in berries and cinnamon, microwave for 30 seconds, stir, microwave another 30 seconds.

I also like to top this with a cut up banana. Good filling warm breakfast and it's cheaper and better for you than buying those flavored oatmeal packets.

No comments: